Volunteer With Us
Wild Sun Rescue Center offers unique Volunteer programs for those who wish to help in the center and in our community.
You may work with animals and even participate in reforestation projects and educational programs in local schools.
The minimum stay is two weeks with a minimum of 4 hours a day of work. Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Feeding and enclosure maintenance for the animals
- Gardening and grounds maintenance
- Building enclosures
- Social media and graphic design work
- Sign painting
- Educational programs at the center and in local schools
- Reforestation projects
- Beach cleanups
Volunteers will be assigned to tasks according to their own specialized skills when possible.
Volunteering also comes with waterfall hikes, tidal pools, and beach outings around the Nicoya Peninsula. You can also add, for an additional cost, yoga classes, surf lessons, zip line canopy tour, butterfly gardens, ATV tours, and sunset horseback riding on the beach.
Short Term Volunteers
Our short term volunteer program is for anyone over 12 years of age. Experience not necessary. Tasks may include but are not limited to preparing food for animals, cleaning kennels and enclosures, making toys for enrichment, social media, writing, construction, etc.
Internships & Long Term Volunteers
Our Long-Term and Full-Term Volunteer positions as well as our Internship Program are tailored to the experience level and needs of the applicant. We welcome veterinarians, veterinarian technicians, students, people with prior rescue center experience, groups, and individuals that want to volunteer for extended periods of time. Please email us with your situation and we can put a package together for you.
Costs and Accommodations
The Wild Sun Rescue Center shares the grounds with The Wild Sun Jungle Resort, a yoga, surf, and adventure retreat and La Escuela Del Sol, a Spanish school. Volunteers have the option of room styles which come with three meals a day. Special dietary needs including vegetarian and vegan options are available.
Short Term Volunteer (minimum 2 weeks) Prices:
- Shared Simple Room– $625 per week w/ shared bathhouse and no AC (Meal plan included)
- Shared Deluxe Pool Front Room– $825 per week w/ private open air bathroom and AC (Meal plan included). We can set you up with roommates if coming alone and desiring a deluxe room.
Long Term Volunteer (minimum 6 weeks, paid up front) Prices:
- Shared Simple Room– $420 per week w/ shared bathhouse (professional meal plan included).
- Shared Deluxe Pool Front Room– $620 per week w/ open air bathroom, mini fridge, satellite tv, AC and ocean view (professional meal plan included).
Full Term Volunteer/Internship (12 weeks) Prices:
- Shared Simple Room– Full term volunteers and Interns make a long term commitment in exchange for free accommodation in a shared simple room. A professional meal plan is available for $150/wk (paid up front) or you may use our kitchen and cook your own food. If you do not choose the meal plan, a deposit of $500 is required which will be returned at the end of the required full term.
- You may also add one course per week from La Escuela Del Sol or Wild Sun Jungle Resort:
- Spanish or Surfing – $300/wk
- Yoga – $100/wk